Greetings fellow students and bloggers,

This is the first blog I've ever created and I'm both happy and relieved to report it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. When asked to do something that you've never done before and don't even know where to start, the initial reaction for some people (like myself) can often be a mix of panic and anxiety. haha
Someone once said "The thing you don't want to learn is probably the thing you need to learn the most". When I start to feel like I can't do something before I even start I remember these words. To be honest, the idea of posting my thoughts and opinions in such an open, interactive format made me nervous but I'm intrigued by what I will learn along the way from myself, my classmates, and anyone who reads my blog.

I do not consider myself a writer, so please be gentle with the comments on my posts. Remember...it's all about learning. :-)

Stay tuned for my posts and updates.

Bye for now,

Tara Jones

Saturday, January 28, 2012

BLOG #2 - The "Ratchet Effect" and Food

Since I’ve started this class and created this blog, I realize I’m reading and looking at things differently and trying to relate it to what I’ve learned in Tomasello’s book. I’m always thinking to myself, “This could be my next blog topic!”  I’m sure many of you can relate to my new found inquisitive nature.

I’m enjoying the process of reflecting on what I’ve learned in my life up to this point, what I continue to learn everyday, and the different learning environments I find myself emerged in pulling me in different directions about what I want to write about. This week I’ve had the opportunity to spend some time with my extended family in Ontario. Sometimes when an event in life brings a family close together you find yourself reminiscing about the past through shared stories and pictures. When my cousins and I were looking at old family pictures we found ourselves comparing the old floor model TV’s to our sleek flat screens, the polaroid cameras with our digital cameras and smartphones, Atari vs. Wii and Xbox, and the list goes on. While everyone else was laughing I was thinking to myself I just found my next blog topic!  All of these cultural artifacts and tools have been modified by individuals and groups from one generation to the next resulting in more elaborate and complex cultural artifacts and tools. Tomasello refers to this process as cumulative cultural evolution through the “ratchet effect”.

Tomasello (1999) explains this “ratchet effect” in more detail in the first chapter of his book:  

Some individual or group of individuals first invented a primitive version of the artifact or practice, and then some later user or users made a modification, an “improvement”, that others then adopted perhaps without change for many generations, at which point some other individual or group of individuals made another modification, which was then learned and used by others, and so on over historical time. (p. 5)

The modern advances in technology, medicine, communication, food production, etc. are all examples of the ratchet effect. In the definition, I don’t necessarily agree with Tomasello’s use of the word “improvement”.  Some of the advances in our human culture might have improved cultural practices or artifacts in terms of things like efficiency, communication, reduced-cost, accessibility, etc. but there have also been some detrimental consequences to our physical and social environments and in some cases, to our health. For example, let’s take a look at how our food has changed over the last 100 years. 

Our food is continually evolving to meet the needs of consumer demands in an ever-changing, fast-paced society. As our lives become more hectic, the underlying theme is that there is less time available for preparing and cooking meals. This has resulted in a multi-billion dollar industry of convenience foods, such as fast food and ready-to-eat pre-packaged foods.  This might be considered an “improvement” as the food industry is coming up with innovative technologies to produce these foods meeting consumer demands but the overconsumption of these foods is negatively impacting our environment and contributing to the growing rates of diseases in our country. It is now culturally acceptable and justifiable for many people to rely heavily on these convenience foods because there is no time in our busy schedules to prepare nutritious meals and the cost of healthy food is expensive. The problem is that these foods that are supposed to make our lives easier can shorten our lifespan as they are often higher in fat, sodium, and calories, thus increasing our risk of many chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for people to rely exclusively on convenience foods to feed their families. If children grow up eating these foods and don’t learn from their parents about healthy eating and how to prepare meals, as adults they will lack a necessary life skill to prepare nutritious food for themselves and their families. More importantly, over the last few years it is becoming common knowledge that as a result of childhood obesity this is the first time in history parents will outlive their children.   

Some of my best childhood memories were pulling up a chair to help my grandmother and mother in the kitchen. What kind of learning opportunities and memories are children in today’s society missing out on? With respect to the “ratchet effect” on food, I worry what the future holds as I see young children with Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. It’s not just about the choices we make, it’s about the evolution of food production and how it affects the food we put into our bodies. With the steady rise in diseases, the ratchet effect is seen in advances in modern medicine to help us fight these diseases. It seems like a vicious cycle. When does it end? Will food production practices continue to reduce the quality of our food to meet consumer demands? As a society, we will continue to move away from our traditional cultural practices of preparing our own meals and rely more on convenience foods? And, will obesity continue to affect the lifespan of future generations?
 
Some food for thought………..
Jaime Oliver's  Processed Food Reality Check


References
Tomasello, M. (1999). The Cultural Origins of Human Cognition. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,
    I totally agree with you Tara that our life is busy and difficult to prepare healthy and fresh food , but our health is so important and we should find a way to take care of our health. I think there are some ways to overcome this problem. One way is to cook and prepare healthy food the night before and store it in the refrigerator, so it will be ready for us to eat during our busy time. This might be time consuming also , but I think most of us can manage their time and do it. The other option in my mind, which is faster and easier than cooking , is eating fresh and healthy food from the groceries like : vegetables, fruits, whole wheat bread, salad and fresh juice etc. This reminds me with my teachers in the elementary school. They told us that they prepare their lunch from last night . They can find it easy to eat it when they go back their house.
    There is an important point that i want to count on which is educating our children to eat healthy food and to avoid fast food such as chocolate, chips, candy and soft drink. From my experience with my kids, I am trying to show them videos about the tooth decay and obesity . I find it very helpful to avoid eating chocolate and soft drinks etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read about the disconnect you experienced between earlier technology and today’s electronics, Tara, I had to laugh because I’ve had this experience myself. Tomasello’s “ratchet effect” concept seems both blindingly simple – of course future generations are going to adapt and refine previous generations’ inventions; who wouldn’t want a better vehicle to listen to music on than an 8-track player? – and deceptively complex: the tension that comes from constant ratcheting has to end, inevitably, in breakage. I take Tomasello’s concept to mean that the more something is ratcheted, or removed from the original, the greater the likelihood that it will break apart from the initial object. For me, your comments about changes in eating habits, and the increase of genetically-modified foods and food preservatives, are demonstrating just that tension. I think that someday in the not-too-distant future, there is a real possibility that food will no longer be what we recognize; instead, it will come as a pill, or liquid, or gel, that gives us nutrients but doesn’t resemble the smell or look or touch of food that we enjoy now. Maybe this is where ratcheting takes us…? Thanks for a fascinating post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how things around us evolve so fast, eh? Seems like such a short while ago that we were using VHS tapes and having to wait 5 minutes for the printer to print a single sheet of text. Oh yes, just like yesterday. It certainly creates new "learning opportunities" for us all the time as technology's "tools" (as you so fittingly called them) at a quicker and quicker pace.
    I agree with you in your belief that perhaps all these advancements aren't also "improvements", as we have seen some negative and powerful consequences come from some of these changes. One person might view the hummer as being the next best thing because of it's enormous size and ability to go off-roading. However, those who are more aware of the effect its gas emmissions have on our environment are a little less thrilled about the potential positives of having such a big vehicle.
    Same with food, as you mentioned. It's virtually impossible to buy food without the "improvements" of man-made chemicals used to keep them "fresher" longer. Though it may seem positive at face-value, many of us forget about what effect it may have on our bodies. Are we really sacrificing long-term health over a cheap, quick meal?
    Hopefully many of us will be enlightened by the time we have the ability to make a change in some of these "advancements". Perhaps then these changes can be positive instead of having horrible hidden conseqences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tara,

    Thanks for the examples you provided in your blog. They really got me thinking. What you have written about the advances in technology, medicine, and food production have led me to think about the negative effects of the ratchet effect.

    While reading Tomasello and about the ratchet effect, I always thought of it as a positive thing. Improvements with technology are amazing. We are also making gains in the medical field. It wasn’t until you mentioned about food and how some people’s eating habits are causing them harm, that I started thinking about how the ratchet effect is not always a good thing.

    While we may benefit from our advances, we have hurt the environment, and may have caused some manmade disasters. There are lots of other detrimental effects. I see how it can be a vicious cycle. Not only are some of our gains causing harm, but they are also causing a new variety of puzzles and problems that people are trying to solve. I agree with you, it can be a vicious cycle.

    See you next week,

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your blog topic, Tara. It was really interesting how you related the ratchet effect to our every day lives. It made me wonder if the advancement in technology might have a part in why we depend on convenience food. We now have 7 billion + people on the earth, and we live in this “rat race” of a world. We’re depending on caffeine instead of actual sleep, we’re tied to our work through email and cell phones 24/7, setting alarm clocks to get up, and trying to fit way more than we should into a 24 hour day. Unfortunately, I think that’s why we have gotten so used to just grabbing something quick (and usually unhealthy). Another interesting thing is how many people are developing allergies and food sensitivities. I have been on a gluten/sugar/dairy-free diet for almost two months now, after having a lot of issues and seeing a naturopath. It’s crazy how much of this stuff is hidden in our packaged and processed foods. I have been doing a lot more cooking and baking myself and the difference I feel mentally and physically is pretty significant. Luckily, there are a lot more healthy options for packaged items with the natural/organic movement. I am an avid label reader now and try to stay away from things that have ingredients that I can’t pronounce or a list as long as my arm. I usually try and cook for the week on Sundays too, so that I won’t be tempted to run for those convenience foods when I am starving! I’m not perfect, but I figure 80% of the time, is better than none. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an excellent example of how the "ratchet effect" is not always beneficial in our daily lives. Personally, I'm shocked by the amount of processed food our society is consuming. And many people naively believe that certain products are "healthy" based on slogans like 'high in fiber' and 'low fat'. Often when packaged foods are low in sugar, they have other ingredients that are very unhealthy in substitution; just as the products that claim they are low in sodium and yet people think it's good for them. Don't they wonder what other junk has been added to reduce the sodium content and still keep a shelf life of 2-3 years? More parents are sending their children to school with packaged and processed lunches/ snacks under the impression that it is a healthy choice because it contains misleading labels. And let's not forget about our delicious fruits and vegetables that are being saturated with pesticides and other chemicals!! I really enjoyed reading your blog, and hope that more people look at what they are really eating.

    ReplyDelete