Greetings fellow students and bloggers,

This is the first blog I've ever created and I'm both happy and relieved to report it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. When asked to do something that you've never done before and don't even know where to start, the initial reaction for some people (like myself) can often be a mix of panic and anxiety. haha
Someone once said "The thing you don't want to learn is probably the thing you need to learn the most". When I start to feel like I can't do something before I even start I remember these words. To be honest, the idea of posting my thoughts and opinions in such an open, interactive format made me nervous but I'm intrigued by what I will learn along the way from myself, my classmates, and anyone who reads my blog.

I do not consider myself a writer, so please be gentle with the comments on my posts. Remember...it's all about learning. :-)

Stay tuned for my posts and updates.

Bye for now,

Tara Jones

Monday, April 2, 2012

BLOG #7

I can’t believe I’m sitting down writing my last blog for this course. The Lifelong Learning Processes course has both challenged and inspired me in so many ways.  While I’ve enjoyed our assigned readings and class discussions, I must say the learning process of creating and contributing to a blog for this term has been the most influential part of the class. It has been such a great learning experience reading everyone’s insightful and creative blogs. Looking back at my own blog posts I have tried to write about topics I simply wanted to learn more about or seemed relevant to my professional and personal interests. I even took the opportunity to reflect on my past experiences as a student, a proud member of a community of practice, and now given our recent discussions around identity and self-analysis, I feel compelled to reflect on how I came to be in this class.           

When I applied for the Master of Education in Lifelong Learning program my primary goal was to become a better educator in my field of diabetes education. It can be quite the challenge to motivate, inspire, and in some cases, persuade people to want to learn the knowledge and skills they need to better manage their diabetes and improve their overall health.  I believed that in pursuing my Master of Education in Lifelong Learning I would be able to learn effective teaching practices and methods that would enhance the learning experience of my clients. I was seeking practical, hands-on examples and learning opportunities that I could incorporate into my everyday practice. To be honest, I questioned whether this Master’s program was the right fit for me.  
However, when I was reading Bracher’s book, “Pedagogy: Identity, Generativity, and Social Transformation”, he introduced a chapter with a quote by Parker Palmer that really stood out for me:  
“Good teaching cannot be reduced to technique; good teaching comes from the identity and integrity of the teacher”
At our next class, Dr. Plumb reiterated the meaning behind this quote and I had my A-ha moment!  Will I achieve my intended goal of becoming a better educator as a graduate of the Master of Education in Lifelong Learning program? My answer is absolutely. Without any hesitation, I believe I am where I’m supposed to be. The difference is what I believed the learning process should be versus what it needs to be. I realize now that I can only achieve my goal if I am willing to learn, understand, analyze, and apply the underlying theories and practices of lifelong learning to develop and support my own pedagogical aims and practices rooted in a deeper understanding of my own identity needs and the identity needs of my clients.  
Bracher (2006) tells us that as educators we need to be open to questioning our own identity and teaching practices to allow us to embrace alternatives that can provide important identity benefits for students while considering the fundamental aims of education. He implies the most effective way to achieve this is through “a process of self-analysis” (p. 135) proposed by Lacan.  In Chapter 10, he encourages us to engage in a form of free-writing responding to several questions, identifying who we seek recognition from, and prompting us to examine various experiences where we felt satisfaction and dissatisfaction in our teaching.
Even though I am not a teacher in the traditional sense of the word, I could easily relate my teaching experiences over the past ten years to the activities outlined in the chapter. While I can’t share all of my answers as this is a blog and not a short story, I can offer a summary of what I was able to take away from this exercise.
As a diabetes educator, the identity-bearing signifiers that are important to me would include, “intelligent”, “good listener”, “empathetic”, “non-judgemental”, “practical”, and “dedicated”. My main reason for wanting to pursue a career in diabetes education was to help people like my best friend who has had Type 1 diabetes since she was 10 years old and at a young age is already experiencing serious complications related to her diabetes. I hope that by taking the time to really listen and acknowledge the challenges people face in managing their diabetes I can use my expertise and practical nature to work collaboratively with them to develop a plan of action that not only fits clinical practice guidelines but meets their learning needs. I am reminded on a daily basis of the impact you can make in someone’s lives through their success stories and simple gestures of praise and recognition such as a hug or a sincere thank you. In my career, I am committed to being a lifelong learner, respected and reputable educator, and advocate for change in funding, program development and teaching practices.   
Everything we learn from our readings, class discussions, conversations, and blogs brings us closer to our individual and collective goals as current and future educators. I want to thank everyone for making this such a great class. I feel like I’ve gotten to know each of you through your blogs.
To the graduates….congratulations! To the rest of the class, I look forward to learning along with you in other classes. To conclude, I would like to share a quote that I will remember as I continue on my journey in the lifelong learning program:
“The only person who is educated is the one who has
learned how to learn…and change”
 -Carl Rogers
References
Bracher, M. (2006). Radical Pedagogy: Identity, Generativity, and Social Transformation. New York:  Palgrave Macmillan.
                                                                                   

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tara, I really enjoyed your thoughtful and interesting blog. I, too, took away a lot more about whom I am as person involved in learning and life. I agree that it is important to understand who we are as individuals and educators to be in a better place to connect with, support and guide others.In fact just today I talked about identity and recognition in one of my classes. I can see how it will open up more opportunities for discussion around self-esteem, assertiveness and conflict topics. Good luck in your studies. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara -

    Thank you so much for sharing; I always enjoy hearing how others came to be in the program and their motivations for continuing. Your approach to your work seems to embody adult education principles, and your openness and passion for your work I'm sure comes through with your clients. Recognizing your own identity needs and those of your clients and others you work with is imperative for making progress and improving ourselves, and I commend you for doing so. I've really enjoyed your blogs throughout the semester, and wish you the best of luck in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I like how you sort of pulled everything together to wrap up the course. Like you, I completely enjoyed it and always loved hearing about everyone's personal experiences. It's so interesting how useful the material can be in the lives of others, and it's truly inspiring to see everyone else as engaged as I am about the subject at hand. I can't wait to see where everyone takes it!!

    Mau

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tara, Thanks for sharing your experience! I can completely relate to where you’re coming from with the course and the program. I work with adult learners on a daily basis but not in a classroom setting so although I’m not a “teacher” I also very much appreciated the discussions and readings we did this semester. I think part of being a successful educator of any type is to recognize where you’re coming from and know what is motivating your opinions and behaviour. I agree that I also learned a lot during this course and gained more insight into my own behaviours and what motivates others as learners than I ever thought I would. I’m sure that the people you work with appreciate you being self-reflective enough to recognize that your friend is such an important motivating factor in your life and that your experience allows you to provide heartfelt education to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tara,

    I totally agree with the thoughts in your intro for this blog. Discussions, blogs, and new concepts certainly helped me reflect on my personal interests through the concepts of the authors. These really add another level of richness to life’s experiences when those A-ha moments hits us. Your personal reflection as an educator is especially inspirational to read about. I’m always curious about what brings people to new levels in their life and your reasons are very moving. Motives like yours makes this world a better place to be in. You have a big heart. That’s for sure.

    Keep up the good!

    Cheers,

    Allister

    ReplyDelete